Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader, Anne Fadiman

From Marrying Libraries: A few months ago, my husband and I decided to mix our books together. We had known each other for  ten years, lived together for six, been married for five. Our mismatched coffee mugs cohabited amicably; we wore each other's T-shirts, and in a pinch, socks; and our record collections had long ago miscegenated without incident, my Josquin Desprez motets cozying up to George's Worst of Jefferson Airplane, to the enrichment, we believed, of both. But our libraries had remained separate, mine mostly at the north end of our loft, his at the south. We agreed that it made no sense for my Billy Budd to languish forty feet from his Moby-Dick, yet neither of us had lifted a finger to bring them together. 


I was really looking forward to reading this book of essays about reading and books by Anne Fadiman, the author of At Large and At Small. I was slightly disappointed; this one wasn't nearly as good as the other. Some of the essays were interesting, but they weren't as witty and humorous. I still enjoyed it, the first essay was particularly good, and it was kind of interesting. The book design was nice, though slightly smaller than I expected it to be. If you liked At Large and At Small, you should definitely try this one. You can tell that it's the same person's writing style, and I did like it. But definitely read At Large and At Small first, or read this one, and be pleasantly surprised by At Large and At Small.

Read Ex Libris:
  • if you like Anne Fadiman
  • if you like essays
  • if you like books about books
157 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment